The eternal leftover dilemma: what to do with all of that stuff you've made in your fridge when you're darn sick of eating the same thing over and over and just can't take it anymore.
My favorite solution? The blender.
I can make a mean puree of just about anything, creating the strangest hummus- or soup-like combinations that make for a quick, nourishing meal with little effort and lots of happy-body ingredients.
This soup is a perfect example! It was the product of a busy work day last week when I found myself staring into the fridge at 2:00pm, realizing I'd gotten so caught up in client notes that I'd forgotten to eat. And. I. Was. Le. Starved.
A quick fridge check - or as I heard recently, a round of 'refrigerator roulette' - and I determined I had the following to work with:
- leftover Vegan 'Chicken' Chickpea Salad
- roasted butternut squash
Awesome. Protein, covered (chickpeas). Fats, covered (tahini). Veggies, both starchy (squash, carrots) and non (peppers, onions, spinach, parsley -- holy alkalizing veggies, Batman!). Plus, if you have trouble digesting beans in general, the ginger and garlic in here will help your body break it down. Whole meal ahead, here we go!
The best part about blenders? They are so ridiculously easy. Toss everything in. Blend. Pour. Consume.
2 minute lunch, faster than any takeout option and tremendously more nourishing. (It's often just about getting over the mental block about how tough it will be to make it happen, and then just making it... happen.)
You've got this. :)
- 3/4 cup of Vegan 'Chicken' Chickpea Salad recipe (see below for link)
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 cup butternut squash, roasted or steamed
- 1" piece of fresh ginger
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- sel de mer for garnish
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except garnish in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Adjust water for desired consistency. Serve warmed or cold.
- Vegan 'Chicken' Salad with Chickpeas Recipe: http://fromthegroundupwellness.com/recipes/vegan-chicken-salad-with-chickpeas