Who would have thought that pistachios and figs would go so well together?
Well, a bunch of people, apparently, but this is news to me (and welcome news at that!).
On the hunt for a new versatile, make-ahead breakfast (veering away from the butter-crunch coconut granola I've been making for Mr. Height for months), I decided to try toasting quinoa: something I will admit to having been terrified of doing up until now. (Something about the visions of burning down the building kept me from trying it. But hey, great news! It's actually really easy, non-dangerous, super quick and entirely gluten-free.)
This delicious mixture of high-protein, high-fat ingredients goes amazingly with coconut yogurt, on fruit or simply mixed with your milk of choice, a la regular cereal. It keeps for months in a sealed container: keep in the fridge for best results.
P.S. Mad props to Plate Joy for the incredible photography. Also - check them out if you'd like the ingredients for this (and hundreds of other amazing meals) delivered to your door. Nom.
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- 1 oz dried figs (about 3-4 figs), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey, maple syrup or brown rice syrup (optional)
- 3 oz non-dairy yogurt (about one single-serve container)
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or if you don’t have parchment, alumninum foil, shiny side down).
- In a medium bowl, combine quinoa, pistachios, figs, coconut oil, cinnamon and honey (if using), stirring to coat evenly. Sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt, then transfer to a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes, stir, then return to the oven for 5 minutes more. Quinoa should be lightly toasted and a little golden in color. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Portion yogurt into a bowl and top with half of the quinoa cereal. Store the remaining cereal in a glass storage container for the next day. :)