Spices: Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion, paprika, thyme
Staples: Brown rice, kidney beans
Here we are at the final day of staples + spice! I hope this week has provided some easy, at-home ideas for combining ingredients in new ways. I'm all about ease and convenience [and deliciousness, of course!], and love the versatility this kind of food prep brings to my week. If you've found any modifications to these combos that were particularly awesome, I'd love to hear about them! I'm constantly retooling and tweaking what comes out of our kitchen and would love your suggestions!
On to the final super quick, way-delicious meal for the week: cajun-inspired rice + beans. Grab those last bits of leftover staples and prepare to feel a little Louisiana spring into your life! I love this combo on cooler days: it adds a certain kick of heat that warms pretty intensely. Adjust the cayenne to taste - like yesterday's recipe, it can have a bit of kick if you go overboard. [The best part of these recipes is the eyeball-factor [and the taste-test factor]: toss it in and add more of each spice as you like.]
1. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add a little coconut oil and heat for 20 seconds.
2. Add a sprinkle of each spice and stir to combine.
3. Add beans and rice to pan, mixing into spices and oil thoroughly.
4. Stir fry for about 1 minute, until heated through. Rice should start to get a little crisp.
5. Serve, topping with additional cayenne if you prefer!