In addition to consuming inspiring foodie blog after inspiring foodie blog this summer, I have been loving the raw vegetable pasta. Do you ever notice that your food preferences change based on the season? That's a great indication that our systems are working well and that we are in sync with our surroundings.
Raw, cooling summery produce in hot summer months? It doesn't get much more in sync than that!
It also doesn't hurt that I am entirely addicted to this walnut-basil pesto, which I've been using to coat everything from quinoa to zucchini. The dog should probably watch out. It's entirely likely's he's next...
We had an abundance of new veggies from the farmers market and this was the result of an adventure into the fridge, an intense desire to have pesto, and 100 degree temperatures in New York City.
Best of all, it's vegan, gluten-free, and packed with beautiful living nutrients to give the body a powerful boost. You can also lightly steam the veggies if eating a ton of raw food doesn't work for you, or if you're in the mood for something a little warmer.
And hey, if you feel like making a little extra pesto, do it. I can promise you'll start to find things to put it on that you'd never expected would pair well with pesto. :)
- 1 large zucchini, ribboned
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 10 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup mustard greens or lacinato kale
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- sea salt to taste
- Combine zucchini, carrots, and radishes in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend remaining ingredients in food processor until smooth.
- Add dressing to veggies and toss to coat. Serve!
- Feel free to swap in other hard veggies for the zucchini, carrots, and radishes. Celery, lightly steamed sweet potatoes or squash, or broccoli would work, too!