Vegan. Gluten-free. Incredibly simple. CONTAINS PUMPKIN.
(Pumpkin makes everything awesome and means it's fall, which is even more exciting!)
Everything about this = potential for the best recipe ever.
Struck by a to-do list as big as the apartment, and that impending "fall is upon us" feeling, I found myself in need of a quick (warming) dinner to throw together last night so Michael and I could use our evening to work [he on MBA studying and I on some writing for upcoming workshops].
A quick look in the pantry showed me that we had pureed pumpkin, coconut milk, and curry powder (as usual), and a peek in the fridge uncovered the pre-made goodies from Sunday's food prep time (quinoa; chopped carrots, mushrooms, and zucchini; chickpeas). Perfect.
I remember my love affair last fall with this recipe from Manifest Vegan and decided to use that as my inspiration: no measuring, no timing, just tossing ingredients together until they looked "about right". (Truly, the easiest way to cook, and really all that you need to do with many plant-based meals. No complicated taking temperatures of meat and flipping so the grill marks are even. Just letting science do its thing and create a perfectly filling and delicious meal in under 15 minutes.)
The amounts of ingredients listed below are approximate, so do adjust for taste and consistency to your liking. If you can prep the quinoa and chickpeas in advance (or used canned; rinsed and drained), you'll save yourself lots of time for busy fall nights that require quick dinners.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 shallots, diced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 large can pureed pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 6 white mushrooms, stems removed; chopped
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 avocado for garnish
- 1. In large pot, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sautee 1-2 minutes until softened.
- 2. Reduce heat. Add spices and mix to combine. Cook 1 minute.
- 3. Add pumpkin, water, beans, carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms; stir. Return heat to medium-high and cook for 5-8 minutes longer until heated through and carrots are slightly softened.
- 4. Stir in coconut milk and adjust salt or spices to taste.
- 5. Garnish with avocado and serve.