Aaaaannnnddd... we're back!
Thanks so much for your patience the last couple of weeks as recovering and travel have taken over blog time. I have a whole slew of fun new recipes for the month ahead (how is it almost June?!), many of which have been - or will be - published on Plate Joy.
If you're not familiar with PJ, they're basically like me (or any number of highly qualified, culinarily adventurous food bloggers/ nutritionists) delivering custom meals to your home so that you can eat well all week without having to think too much about it. Truly, the toughest part is deciding which meals to choose from the menu.
This miso soup with garlicky lentils, kale + mushrooms is on there, and conveniently one of the quickest dinners to throw together. It's perfectly packed with protein, fiber and secret hidden veggies. It's extra-filling and extra satisfying, and particularly awesome to make in a batch to eat throughout the week. I'm all about not having to spend the whole week planning and re-planning food. You feel me? Cool.
If you don't already have miso paste in your kitchen, do yourself a huge favor and do grab a tub. It runs about $7 in most natural food stores and it will never go bad. Seriously: you can keep it for years and it won't spoil. (Although, good luck with that: in my experience, a tub lasts about 3 weeks because I'm always finding new things to put it in. Tempeh marinades, more tempeh, grain bowls, portobello mushrooms coated in hazelnuts, sliders...)
What have you been cooking lately?
I'm really grateful to be able to chew again... not that that means I'll be breaking up with soups and purees and the Vitamix anytime soon. :P
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 cup white mushrooms
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tsp miso paste
- 1 cup cooked lentils (canned works well: look for a BPA-free liner, and rinse/drain lentils well using a fine sieve)
- 2 cups kale
- Dice onions into ½-inch pieces and finely mince garlic.
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Roughly chop into quarters.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they start to release their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable broth into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat, stir in lentils and miso paste.
- Cook together for 5 minutes, then add kale and cover to cook for 3 minutes more.
- Once kale is wilted, remove from heat and serve.