It's Meatless Monday! Woohoo! It's a great reason to explore some plant-based eating, and to omit animal products for the day. It's easier than it sounds (and super delicious, especially with recipes like this one...)
Today's recipe is one that I include in my Ten Day Detox, which is a great tool for folks looking to reset their systems with a clean eating plan, or for those exploring plant-based eating for the first time.
Of all the recipes in the plan, this is one of my favorites. It has a distinctly Indian flavor to it, including sweet spices and a little luxurious coconut milk. As a bonus, it's easy to make a big batch (whether you're feeding a large group or want some seriously simple leftovers for lunches).
The lentils in this dish serve as the 'protein replacement' where meat might otherwise occupy space on the plate. They're high in iron, manganese and folate and conveniently take on the flavor of whatever you coat them in.
You'll also notice that we're using two veggies to complement our lentils - cauliflower and chard. They're different colors and different textures, providing different benefits to the body. Packed with fiber, phytonutrients (glucosinolates and chlorophyll, respectively, both of which have powerful detoxing and cleansing abilities), and Vitamin C, combining these veggies in a meal is not only filling, but immunity-boosting too!
If you're using precooked lentils, this recipe takes about 35 minutes of prep and cooking time in all. If you're cooking from scratch, plan to start your lentils about an hour before dinnertime. They'll continue to cook while your cauliflower roasts.
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup cooked lentils (according to package directions OR boil 2/3 cup dry lentils in 2 1/3 cups water for 30-40 minutes until tender)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or coconut oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 cups loosely packed Swiss chard
- 1. Preheat oven to 400F.
- 2. Coat cauliflower in oil, spread on baking tray and bake 30 minutes until crispy.
- 3. In the meantime, combine lentils with spices and coconut milk or oil. Divide into two or three bowls.
- 4. Steam chard for 3-4 minutes until soft. Divide amongst bowls.
- 5. Top each bowl with cauliflower and serve.
This was originally featured as guest post on StrictlyNutritious.com.