This little 'accident' was a happy one! Initially intended to be a pre-dinner chilled soup, my trusty taste-tester husband pointed out that it was very dessert-like... so I left it in the freezer a little longer and served it after dinner instead. Great success (super easy AND sugar-free). Give this a go when your next ice cream craving hits and notice how the simple sweetness of beets + coconut milk might just be what you need.
Toss in the blender and watch the magic happen! The coconut milk became a little whipped-cream-like in consistency, but a vigorous stir evened things out a little (and made it nice and smooth throughout).
- 2 cups roasted beets
- 2 cups coconut milk
- optional few tbsp of almond milk
- cinnamon for serving
- (2 cloves garlic + dash of sea salt if you're making soup)
- 1. Combine beets and coconut milk in blender and combine until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- 2. Add a little almond milk if mixture seems too thick: you want it to be ice-cream like in consistency (and even more fluid if you're making this as a soup.)
- 3. Transfer mixture to stainless steel bowl and chill in freezer for 25 minutes.
- 4. Serve with a little cinnamon on top.
- If you're using beets you've roasted in advance, this is super quick to throw together. If you're newly roasting beets to start this recipe, allow 40 minutes to cook them at 400F (tossed with a little olive oil and spread on a baking tray), plus about 30 minutes to cool before blending.