Due to popular demand, here's the split pea soup recipe Amanda mentioned in yesterday's Fridge Feature [thanks for sharing, lady!]. Perfect timing with this sudden glorious spring weather! Peas are a great balancing food: because of their ability to cleanse and alkalize the system, they are well-suited to this time of year. This easy-to-make soup will help break up the remnants of winter in the body and get your energy up for spring.
What to do while your creation simmer? Seems like just enough for a kitchen-floor yoga practice, no?
Have a great one!
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1-2 cups of finely diced leek
- 1 cup finely diced celery stalk
- 1 cup finely dice rutabaga
- 6 cups of vegan vegetable broth or water
- 1-2 tsp of salt
- 2 bay leaves
- In a pot, place peas and cover with water , bring to boil on high heat. Lower heat and let simmer for about 45 minutes until peas are tender.
- In soup pot, heat olive oil. Add diced veggies and saute until soft. Add broth or water and bring to a boil. Add cooked peas (with cooking liquid), pinch of salt, and bay leaves. Reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes.