Good morning everyone!
I wanted to share some culinary inspiration first-thing... if you're planning for meals later on today, consider this beautifully simple, very green side dish! It makes a great accompaniment to just about anything [or eat it on its own with some chickpeas or white beans thrown in]. Top with some vegan parmesan [crushed walnuts + nutritional yeast] and you're good to go!
Have a wonderful day -- we are off for a very spring-y training run!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 medium crimini mushrooms, washed and sliced (stems removed)
- 2 cups spinach, washed
- 1/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 1. Saute oil, onions, and mushrooms together over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until veggies soften and brown slightly.
- 2. Add spinach; stir to combine thoroughly.
- 3. Cover with lid and allow to steam for 2 minutes, or until spinach has wilted.
- 4. Add walnuts and salt; stir again.
- 5. Heat for 1 minute more.
- 6. Remove from heat and serve.
- This works terrifically as the 'bed' for any main dish (veggie burgers, tofu steaks, baked tempeh). Because of its neutral flavor, you can add any spices you like to complement the main dish (curry powder + coriander + nutmeg for Indian; chili powder + paprika + cumin for Mexican, etc.)
Sound good? Check out my ebook, Fueled by Greens, on Blurb! Creative ways to incorporate green veggies into your life - delish!